Thursday, December 29, 2011

miss peregrine's home for peculiar children

I hope everyone had a fun, relaxing, restful holiday!  I do have another Christmas post coming up, but finding enough time to process all the images has been hard to come by, as you can imagine.  And then of course there's New Year's!  I'm totally excited, because this year we'll be spending that particular holiday with Marc and Leanne (you will remember them from Halloween).  It's sure to be an awesome time, and a post about that will be sure to follow!


I thought I'd do a little interim post about one of the gifts that I received this year, from my brother. It's about this book:



Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs.  I watched the book trailer a few weeks ago, and immediately fell in book love.  So you can imagine how excited I was to get reading.  I managed to drag it out to the evening of December 26th, and there's part of me that wishes I had dragged it out a bit longer -- because now that it's over, I'm sort of in withdrawal. But let me tell you, it is pretty much everything I love in a book.  The combination of actual old photographs (which sometimes border on the grotesque, so be warned) and a compelling story make for a really interesting reading experience.  It was also kind of refreshing to read a book that isn't a classic.  Don't get me wrong, I love the classics, but sometimes you just need a bit of contemporary punch now and then.

I don't want to spoil the book for anyone, so I won't go into much detail on the plot.  This isn't so much a review as a "I'm so excited about this story, and I want everyone else to be excited about it too" sort of post.  But if you like stories of budding romance (not Twilight-esque budding romance, which is silly), intrigue, adventure, and anything with vintage flair, then you'll like this one.  I'm probably going to wait a few weeks and then read it again, just to see if I pick up anything the second time around that I missed in the first go.  I'm so, so, so excited that there's going to be a sequel...I just don't know if I'll be able to wait that long!

4 comments:

  1. I've been really interested in this book for awhile now but haven't quite gotten around to reading it. It looks so mysterious and intriguing - just the kind of thing I love, and the fact that you mentioned budding romance and vintage flair just ups the appeal for me. Glad to hear you had such a great holiday =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely give it a read! Luke asked me to read it to him, so it's been fun going through the adventure a second time, picking up things that I hadn't noticed before.

    I hope you had an amazing holiday as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I learned even the books have trailers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Admittedly, book trailers are not usually that good lol.

    ReplyDelete