Monday, August 15, 2011

pretty simple things

Ever since I can remember, I've been obsessed with what is commonly called the "family heirloom".  I think it might have to do with the fact that my family doesn't really have any, unless you count my Nonna's diamond ring, which she gave me on my sweet sixteen (ie. the point in my life when I really had no appreciation for diamonds or jewels of any kind). So in the past few years especially, I've taken to snatching up little trinkets here and there that I think could eventually be considered an heirloom.  Provided I have any daughters or granddaughters, or even nieces I suppose.


I went thrifting with my boyfriend on Saturday, and picked up these two little brooches.  I also grabbed a couple button down shirts of varying styles, and a skirt that I'm sure will appear on here eventually.  In any case, I particularly love the rose brooch; it's suitably girly, classic, and subtle.  The black stone brooch has a slightly more austere look (or is that just me?) but I thought it had a Victorian vibe.  And I love anything that is even remotely Victorian in style.


I also happen to love old books, so I was super excited when I was able to finally pick up a hardcover copy of Jane Eyre from the '50s.  Jane Eyre is perhaps one of my favourite books of all time, and I'm currently obsessed with the newest film version.  After I started re-reading my new copy of it, I decided it needed to have a suitable bookmark.  So I painted some lavender (another obsession of mine) with watercolours, and voila!  A bookmark.



And if you noticed the jelly roll of fabric above, I bought all of it specifically to rip off strips to tie in my hair.  Maybe a bit excessive, but...it's pretty?


My boyfriend bought me that bracelet.  I love it.  And it matches my Green Lantern t-shirt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment