Friday, October 28, 2011

preparing for nanowrimo

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but since 2008, I've been a participant in National Novel Writing Month (aka NaNoWriMo).  For those of you who might not be familiar with the event, it takes place in the month of November, and the goal is to write 50 000 words by November 30. It is so much fun, and really pushes you to your limits. Not to mention the NaNoWriMo community is amazing. If you're interested in writing (even if you don't want to be a "writer"), I suggest you give it a look. I never thought I could write a novel; I had never managed to get a plot beyond the 10 000 word mark.  But once I got involved with NaNo, I  really surprised myself.  My first year was also my first year of university, so as you can imagine, very, very busy.  And I managed to get to 54 000 words before November 30.  Say whaaaat?!  The event really made me realize that writing is what I am meant to do.


This year I'm doing something a little different. For the past three years I wrote some form of serious fantasy.  What I mean by serious is that I actually tried to write a semi-decent story.  The problem is that now I have three novels that are unfinished, plus two other non-NaNo novels.  I figured that I didn't want to start yet another novel that I care about, because then I will never finish anything.  So instead I've decided to write a paranormal teen romance parody.  I'm not a fan of Twilight, Hush Hush, or any of those novels.  Mostly I just find them hilarious.  Therefore, my new novel is called An Echo of Wings.  I'm looking forward to a mostly free-and-easy NaNoWriMo, where I'm not invested in any of my characters, and consequently won't care what happens to them.


I'm also using NaNoWriMo as motivation to finish my current novel, Reptilia Snaketongue and the Misty Orb of Truth.  I've been working on it pretty seriously for a number of months, and I'm about halfway through.  I'm hoping that with the pressure of the November 30th deadline, I'll be able to get it done.  If you're interested, it's a middle-grade historical-fantasy about a young girl named -- you guessed it -- Reptilia Snaketongue, who is part of a traveling sideshow in 1920s France.  The short version is that, after looking into her old carriage-mate's crystal ball, she sets out with her best friend, a performing camel named Georges, to find her family.


Anyway, before I write an entire book here, I wanted to share a few pictures.  I don't have photoshop right now (I had to suck it up and buy a new laptop, because my old Dell, Abraham Lincoln, was barely hanging to a thread), so there's nothing fancy going on here.  But in preparation for NaNoWriMo, I crocheted a new granny square blanket, and also bought some new, fun bedding.  I know...new bedding for a writing event? Kinda geeky.




If you're wondering, the bedding is from IKEA. And only 12.99!  Yay for deals!  And those stacks of papers on my teeny-tiny desk in the background are hardcopies of my previous NaNo novels! :)  Oh, before I forget, if anyone's interested in being Writing Buddies, here's a link to my author page.  I'd be happy to buddy any other participants!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds EXTREMELY interesting. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! Let me know if you join...it's SO much fun. My first NaNo, I found out about it on Halloween, so I actually had less than 24 hours to plan.

    ReplyDelete